Some teachers, where applicable, may want to use GitHub to store and maintain student code.
What we have done:
- Created a GitHub Organization
- Enabled GitHub Classroom
- Turned on the ability to automatically roster students into GitHub based on a select Canvas course.
For staff interested in using this integration, the following will be required:
- Create your GitHub account.
- We recommend using firstnamelastname-wps (e.g. blakejohnson-wps).
- Create your own GitHub Organization(s) for your class(es).
- Request the Teachers Toolbox for your organization.
- Authorize GitHub Classroom for your account.
- Create a GitHub Classroom for each course that needs GitHub integration.
Link each GitHub Classroom to its respective Canvas course
- Have a Canvas admin enable the "Allow this tool to access the IMS Names and Role Provisioning Service" option for you in the app settings.
- Roster your students through GitHub.
- Start creating assignments.