This article will show how to add a Google Group to your email.
Creating a Google Group
- Go to google.com
- Click the Grid Icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click the Groups Icon in the drop down menu.
- Click the Create Group Icon near the upper left corner of the screen.
- Give your group a name. Example: GLKHomeBaseParents
- Note: The Group email address will automatically populate based on the name you defined. This is the email address you will use when you want to send emails to the group.
- Fill in a group description. Example: Used for sending communications to Gleason Lake Home Base Parents.
- Under the “Basic permissions” section change the “Post” option so only Owners of the group is checked.
- Change the “Join the Group” option so Only invited users is checked.
- Click the Create Icon near the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click Manage near the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click Basic permissions along the left side of the screen. It is nested under the Permissions section.
- Check the box next to Allow members external to this organization.
- Click the Save Icon near the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click Direct add members along the left side of the screen.
- Enter all of the parents emails into the first field.
- You can copy and paste emails here but you need to make sure each email is separated by a comma.
- You can only add 10 people at a time per copy and paste.
- You can only add 100 people per day. If you have more than 100 members, you will have to wait 24 hours before adding more.
- Write a welcome message. The parents you are adding to this group will receive an email letting them know they have been added to a Google group.
- This welcome message will tell the parents that it is you who is setting up the Google Group, it will show them the welcome message you crafted, and it will show the description of the group that you defined back in step 6.
- Parents will have the option to unsubscribe from this group. We have no way of preventing that so it will be important that you craft an appropriate welcome message so it is clear why they received this email and why they have been added to this group.
- After your welcome message has been crafted, verify that the All Email radio button is selected.
- Click the Add Icon
near the upper left corner of the screen. This will trigger the welcome email to go out to all parents.
- You may be prompted to check the I’m not a robot checkbox and then click Continue.
You have now finished creating your Google Group!
Sending email to the group: You will send an email to this group the same way you would send any other email. You just need to verify that the To: field contains the email address of your Google group. This address is what you created in step 5a. In these directions the address would be: email@example.com
Adding Members at a later time: Simply repeat steps 14 -18.
Removing Members at a later time: Navigate to the “All members” screen. Click the checkbox to the left of the member/s you want to remove. Then click the Actions button near the top of the screen and select Remove from group.